With the release of WordPress 2.8 scheduled for April (let’s hope it’s not April 1st, that would just be bad) I decided it was about time I took a look at what new features it brings to the table.
As with each WordPress point release there is quite a list of bug fixes and new features introduced so I will highlight a few that I’m most interested in. So without further ado, let’s kick things off…
- Improved performance for script loading
- Use SimplePie for widget and dashboard feeds
- Allow the dashboard widgets to be arranged in up to four columns as set via the Screen Options tab
- Improved database performance
- Autosave post/page when pressing Control/Command+S
- Don’t ask for confirmation when marking a comment as spam
Then there are features that didn’t make it into the WordPress 2.7 release that I would like to see included with WordPress 2.8:
- Better UI for post revisions, maybe an optional field to say what changed in a version
- Method for uploading and installing themes directly in the WordPress UI
You can see a complete list of the new features that WordPress 2.8 brings over at WordPress.org
Is there anything missing from the list that you were hoping for?